Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

High-Heeled Flip-Flops: Friend or Foe?

The fashion industry loves to take pieces that were previously considered a faux pas and transform them into the must-have item of the season. There have been quite a few examples lately: fanny packs, dad sneakers, tourist shirts, etc. Each of these tends to stir up more than a little controversy, especially from those looking at them from an outsider’s perspective. The flip-flop is the latest hot-button trend on our radar, which we saw all over the SS19 runways, but this newest iteration is slightly more elevatedliterally.

Many a luxury designer has released their version of the flip-flop heel—think Gianvito Rossi and Yeezy. Ignore the ’90s throwback platform version youre likely imagining, because these are a much sleeker option with a slim heel. They do slightly coincide with the rise of the barely there shoe trend, but can the high heel shake the stigma that we typically associate with flip-flops (namely, that theyre cheap and somewhat lazy)? For today’s debate, we polled a few people in our office for their opinions on this controversial shoe du jour.

 

Leah Cooper

Editorial Director

“I owned a pair of bejeweled heeled flip-flops in 2006, and when I wore them—with low-rise True Religion jeans and an Arden B. halter top, of course—you couldn’t tell me anything! It was such a great look...at the time. While I’m all for embracing the return of this trend if it suits you, these days, I prefer flip-flops sans heels, and only at the beach.”

 

Hannah Baxter

Editor

“I’m actually a major flip-flop fan thanks to the Olsen twins, but it’s taking me a bit longer to embrace the high-heeled version. With multiple brands debuting their take on the style this spring, I’m starting to see people I admire styling them so they appear modern and cool. Still, I can’t justify spending much more than $50 on a pair of my own. I’ll stick with my dollar-store style and instead invest in the perfect slouchy trousers and paper-thin white tee to wear with them for the warmer months ahead.”

 

Rachel Pickus

Social Media and Affiliate Coordinator

“Since most of my childhood was influenced by the early 2000s, I can’t help but find flip-flop heels oddly nostalgic. Sure, there are a LOT of things wrong with a heeled flip-flop, but I think that’s the fun in it (cc: low-rise jeans and velour tracksuits)! I’m definitely not shelling out $500+ for a pair anytime soon, but if they’re good enough for Britney, they’re good enough for me.”

 

Valeriya Chup

Beauty Fellow

“I don’t think I want to withstand the pain of a flip-flop in between my toes combined with wearing high heels.”

 

Jodi Taylor

Editor

No amount of money could ever make me even pretend to like high-heel flip-flops. Flip-flops in general are not my forte, so I’m sorry guys, I can’t get behind this one. No matter the brand, colorway, or style of them, I’m sitting this one out.

 

Nandi Howard

Production Fellow

“It’s strange, because I feel like high-heel flip-flops are a vintage trend that is coming back. I absolutely adore them, though! When I studied abroad in London, a lot of the English women were rocking them, and I came back to the States with like, three or four pairs.”

 

If you’re up for it, shop a few of our favorites:

zara fluorescent kitten heel sandals reformation caroline sandal staud keith croc effect leather mules simon miller beep patent leather sandals cult gaia jasmin leather sandals gianvito ross calypso 70 leather sandals yeezy perspex thong sandals

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar